Your style and preferences are essential in fashion, as is dressing for your body type. Both men and women who love the baggy clothes style can benefit when they buy the clothing they like that is made to flatter their body shape. Continue reading to learn more about how to dress for your body shape, regardless of gender.
Things to Consider When Dressing for Your Body TypeJust because you’re looking into dressing for your body type doesn’t mean you should give up your favorite styles. If you love a look and you want to wear it, it’s okay! If you’re still looking to make dressing in baggy or other types of clothing that works with your body shape, here are a few tips:
- If you want to dress for your body type above all else, prioritize your type and shape over fashion.
- Unless you’re exceptional with a sewing machine and altering, it’s time to find a good tailor to have on call.
- Wear the fashions you want for the body type you have now. Some people think that they should wait until they gain or lose weight. Fashion is fickle, so live in the moment when you make your choices!
- Know that body types are not a bad thing. Your shape is uniquely yours, and it’s something to be proud of.
Ideally, you can balance your fashion choices with your body type to create a wardrobe that accentuates your best features. Stay true to yourself and let the rest fall into place.
Body Types for Men and Styling IdeasLet’s take a look at the five types of male body types:
TriangleMen with hips wider than their shoulders are considered to have a triangle shape. People with this shape need to learn how to use clothing to balance their clothing to help things appear to be proportional. Good clothing ideas can include:
- Baggy clothing for men with vertical stripes
- Bright color panels
- Tailored jackets or blazers
- Coats that square off your shoulders
Inverted TriangleThis is the opposite of a triangle shape. In this case, the man has large, broad shoulders and a narrow waist. Some excellent clothing options can include:
- Horizontal stripes
- Slim-fitting shirts
- V-neck shirts
- Straight-leg pants
- Slim jackets
RectangleIf you have a tall, thin frame where your shoulders are about the same width as your waist, you’ve got a rectangle shape. Good clothing options for this shape can be:
- Layered looks
- Structured tailoring that gives the illusion of broader shoulders
- Horizontal stripes
- Bright colors
OvalIf you’re a man with a bigger build, your torso might be wider than your shoulders and hips. This is an oval shape that requires some thought in choosing clothing to slim and frame. These choices include:
- Dark colors
- Comfortable loose pants
- Wide-collared shirts
- Dark, single-breasted jackets
- Pleats on pants
- Bow ties or neckties
TrapezoidThis is the shape many designers use as their reference point for a man’s ideal build. The waist is narrow, and the body widens naturally as you move from the waist to the shoulders. This shape is less harsh than the triangle, making fit and alterations easier. Trapezoid shapes look best in:
- Jackets or blazers
- Fitted pants
- Shirts of almost any style, color, and design
All Men Have Fashion ChoicesOne body shape isn’t necessarily better than any other, especially since you can use fashion to create the style and look you want with some of these ideas. So, get to know your shape and start shopping with these tips!
Body Types for Women and Styling IdeasWomen tend to be self-conscious and critical of their body shape, but it’s something to be proud of when you select your clothing. Your shape is uniquely yours, and you have the power to dress for how you want to look and showcase your sense of style. Let’s take a look at the five female body shapes and how to dress for each one:
Inverted TriangleBroad shoulders and narrow hips define this body shape. You’ll always dress to accommodate a larger top and trim waistline. Styling ideas include:
- Straight-cut jeans with an inverted “v” look to them
- Horizontal stripes
- Light color
- Pencil-cut skirts
- V-neck shirts
RectangleThis type of body has shoulders and hips that are similar in broadness. Some stylists refer to this type as having a straight shoulder line and hips. Clothing ideas include:
- Dresses and jackets with belts
- Soft fabrics
- Mid-rise jeans
- Ruffles and layered tops
- Sleeveless tops and dresses
- Long jackets
Pear Shape (Triangle)When your waist is wider than your shoulders, it’s called pear-shaped. Several celebrities who are considered to be incredibly sexy have this shape, and they know what to have in their wardrobe to make the most out of their natural build, like:
- Bright colors and prints on the top
- Layer tops
- Padded or push-up bras
- Wide-legged pants
- A-line skirts
- Scoop or boat neck tops
HourglassThis shape is when a woman’s shoulders and hips are equal in width while having a well-defined waist. When it comes to this shape, it’s all about making the most of the waist. Some fashion ideas include:
- Scoop or boatneck shirts
- Pants with angled pockets
- Mini skirts
- Peplum or empire-waisted tops
- Anything that cinches the waist
Round (Apple)A person with this shape has a broader top half of the body. This shape often results in people buying baggy clothes for women without using strategic styling tools. The lack of definition above the waist can be a challenge for some to style, but it can be done if you wear:
- Open cardigans
- A-line cuts
- Empire waists
- Dark colors
- ¾ length sleeves
- Flowy tops
- Flared pants
- Monochrome looks
All Bodies Are Good BodiesWhile one body type might seem better than another, the truth is that all of them are beautiful. Your genetics play a role; what you wear can significantly impact people’s perceptions.
Tips for Wearing Baggy Clothes for All Body TypesBaggy clothing for men and women is wildly popular, but some people with certain body types might feel uncomfortable wearing them. Here are some tips to help every man or woman who wants to go baggy feel confident when they do.
- Use only one baggy item per outfit. An oversized top over a lean, fitted bottom balances almost any shape.
- Don’t wear baggy items with light fabrics like linen or silk. Fleece or cotton tops have more shape and better capture the baggy vibe.
- Tuck in your shirt if it’s too baggy. Tucking it in just in the front, on one side, or all around can transform a frumpy top into an effortless fashionable top.
- Use your oversized top as a dress and belt it at the waist.
- Avoid wearing anything cropped with baggy clothing. It can give the illusion that you’re shorter than you are.
- Accessorize with chunky chains or jewelry. It catches the eye and takes attention away from that cozy, baggy top you can’t stop wearing.
Baggy clothing is always comfortable, and luckily for people who love it, it’s stylish. So, whether you use these tips or go your own way, be confident in your baggy clothes, and you’ll feel just fine in them.