Streetwear is a mainstream style choice. First favored by skaters and rappers, this fashion choice is hot, and everyone from grade school kids to big-name celebrities has their favorite streetwear clothes in their closets. Keep reading to discover tips on adding stylish pieces to your clothing collection that you can wear to any occasion.
Know Your Streetwear StylesThere’s no question that streetwear clothing is stylish, but it can be broken down into different, distinct categories.
Casual StreetwearThis category includes the basics that appeal to just about everyone. Pieces often include plain white or black t-shirts, distressed jeans, graphic tees, overshirts, and other basic pieces.
Smart or Workplace-Ready StreetwearDress codes are adapting and making it easier to wear your favorite street-ready pieces to work. Of course, you’ll still need a professional or “formal” feel about your outfit, but it’s doable. Ideas include:
- Pair your regular shirt and pants with a puffer or bomber jacket.
- A simple t-shirt with cargo pants or distressed jeans can straddle the line between work and play. This is especially nice if you have a more relaxed work environment. Ensure you bring an overshirt, hoodie, bomber, or another layer if you get chilly or want to up your fashion game after work.
- If in doubt, select dark and neutral colors. Pants, shirts, jackets, or other items in a darker tone give you a more put-together, professional feel. If you choose to go with a single color for all of your pieces, use different colors and textures to give your outfit more depth.
Days Off StyleYou can experiment with your streetwear choices when you’re not at work. You’ll want to choose for comfort based on your plans, like working out, shopping, traveling, or hanging out with friends. This means you can mix and match:
- Distressed jeans
- Cargo pants
- Bomber jacket
- Suede shirts
- Puffer jacket
Select Your Streetwear StyleStreetwear might look simple to the random observer, but anyone who understands this style and fashion will know that each piece has different elements. You can identify them as:
- Comfortable: Casual pieces like sweats, joggers, hoodies, leisure suits, and more. An excellent way to note if a style is considered a comfortable piece is whether or not you can run, skate, or rap in it.
- Menswear Flair: Most streetwear clothing has been designed with traditional menswear design. Women also love streetwear and can wear anything men can, but men’s clothing will have likely inspired it.
- Unique Pieces: If you’ve ever purchased high-fashion clothing, you know that the rarer the piece, the more valuable it can be. Streetwear has its own version with limited edition productions, but you’re likely to pay a lower price than you would for a piece from a well-known fashion house.
- Creativity: Streetwear is its own form of art. Graphic T-shirts and recognizable brand logos are staples in any collection. If a design or brand speaks to you on some level, you must add it to your closet.
Streetwear allows you to personalize your wardrobe and express yourself whenever you dress. You can find the right combination for any occasion, no matter what kind of streetwear clothes you put in your collection.
Don’t Forget to Use Accessories to Transform Your LookOnce you’ve decided what clothing you’ll wear, you can add accessories to bump it up a notch. Don’t forget to include:
- Chains: This accessory is easy to add to just about any style. They give your look an asymmetrical edge. Chains also give your look added weight and depth depending on the outfit you’re wearing and the design of the chain. Wear chains that:
- Easily hook onto loops, belts, or waistbands
- Are thin and delicate for a more gentle, feminine look
- Are thick so that it exudes a more masculine vibe
- Layered with both thick and thin to achieve a more androgynous look
- Socks: Ankle-high socks are perfect when wearing your favorite sneakers or slides. Basic white or black are staples in any collection, but you can and should have a few colorful or statement socks for the right occasion.
- Belts: Wear your belt the way you want or according to the look you’re after. Tactical belts are especially sharp whether you wear them as an actual pant belt or waist belt.
- Harness: This accessory isn’t for everyone, but if you do like the look of a harness, they go great with streetwear. Harnesses add shape to a body, providing a nice balance if you wear loose-fitting pieces.
Sneakers, Slides, and MoreSome icons of the streetwear fashion scene believe that your shoes are an essential part of your look. So, if you’re going to indulge in streetwear, you have to make sure you’ve got the right shoes for each outfit.
Sneakers are the leading choice for many streetwear enthusiasts, but boots and slides are also part of this fashion culture. Make sure you have at least one pair of shoes for any occasion.
- Boots are great for formal styles.
- Sneakers can be worn to certain formal events but are perfect for everyday wear.
- Slides work best for travel or relaxing days.
Be True to Your Own Streetwear StylesThe most important thing to remember about your streetwear is that you decide what’s appropriate for you. The foundation of streetwear itself is to encourage self-expression and originality through style.
Shopping at NLB Vintage is the only way to find your perfect, unique style, from clothing to accessories. Their passion for connecting you with the ideal fashion is unmatched. Shop NLB Vintage now to be the best dressed at work, home, or your next special event.